Friday, July 16, 2010

Whenever you find yourself...

Mark Twain is credited as saying "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

These days it's so hard to know whether you are on the side of the majority. A while back I showed one of my pro abortion friends this poll. I smugly said something about more Americans being pro-life than pro-choice. She looked at the same article and came to the conclusion that a vast majority are pro-choice. How can this be?

I challenged her by showing her the following diagram from the article:


whereas she responded with the diagram below it


Interesting. 51% of people consider themselves pro-life, but 53% think abortion should be legal under some circumstances. That means some people who consider themselves to be pro-life think that abortion should be legal under some circumstances (perhaps "to save the life of the mother" - we don't know since the poll didn't get into specifics).

So my friend considers herself to be in the majority because only 22% think abortion should be illegal in all circumstances,  and I consider myself to be in the majority because 51% consider themselves pro-life, and also because 76% of Americans think abortion should be illegal, and that our current laws (which permit abortion at any time up to and sometimes even after birth for any reason) are too permissive. I guess we should both pause and reflect...

2 comments:

Hi Mike,

I just came across your blog. I've heard the term "pro-choice" referred to as "pro-death." In any case, it's an appalling situation but I'm hopeful that things are turning around. Unfortunately, there are a lot of hypocrites out there, don't you think? I follow this issue regularly. I enjoyed your article. I hope to read more of your posts soon! Thank you..

Thanks Margo! I don't think the word hypocrite is exactly how I'd describe it. For instance, most people I know get their information from the mainstream media (which is, after all, how it became mainstream). With the bias of the information they're getting, is it any wonder they come to wrong or even conflicting conclusions? Garbage in, garbage out!

That's why it's important that we make good Catholic information easily available (liek your blog, for instance).

But you do raise a good point - I think I may make it into another blog post!

Post a Comment