Thursday, July 9, 2009

e-book bash wrap up.

OK, I promised to blog more on e-books, and never did. If you remember the list I did not address.

1. E-book readers suck.
2. E-book readers are hard to use.
3. Professors wanted to be "on the bandwagon".
4. Batteries die.

Quite frankly I'm not sure how much addressing this needs. We've been promised fuel cells and all sorts of batteries that will run for many many hours and can be recharged instantly. The technology isn't there. The long last batteries are proprietary, and batteries I can change quickly and find everywhere don't last.

I have used a Kindle, and although I think it is probably the best e-book reader out there, the speed with which I can turn pages and find an arbitrary spot in a book is pitiful. Not to mention the need to use the tiny keyboard.

Paper is cheap, easy to manipulate, and a pencil is a great annotator. e-books are a solution looking for a problem they can solve better than existing solutions. So for all I would like one, I don't want to give up the convenience of books.

And with that I'm going to go on to other stuff...

0 comments:

Post a Comment