Monday, May 6, 2013

It's not anti-religious, it's just stupid

There are a few things that irk me. One is triumphalism. Stories about how the Catholic Church is dead, or about how Planned Parenthood is dead strike me as prideful. Then there are the excessively pious posts (like the prayer of the Pharisee in Luke 18 "O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity"). Then there are the stories that are uncharitable in that they attribute motives that are not evident by the facts.

I've been reading stories about the track team disqualified because a runner pointed to God after a victory. A lot of people are crying "religious liberty" and they're right to worry about how this infringes on religious liberty. But like the author of the story I linked to, I don't think this is a case where religion is treated any differently from any other reason the young man might have had to raise his finger.

As I pointed out in my post Pretend Safety, the issue is the reliance on legalism in deference to common sense. Let's look at some Olympic athletes' victories:












and yet we tell high school students that they can't raise their arms because that would be "excessive celebration"? These are kids. Let them be happy with their accomplishments when they win. Let them praise God, or do a snoopy dance, or whatever.


0 comments:

Post a Comment