Monday, November 22, 2010

Same sex marriage - why not?

I recently heard a story from a friend about a NJ man who was wearing a "wedding" ring on his right hand. When asked why, he said that only when the state recognized his marriage would he feel entitled to wear it on his left hand. Now, in case you don't know, the state of New Jersey accords all of the rights of spouses to same sex partners, just not the title. So what is he waiting for? He can't claim "discrimination" when he has all of the rights and benefits. It's not enough for him to be equal under the law. He insists that I must be discriminated against for holding a traditional view of marriage.

Just as pro-aborts will tell me "if you don't like abortion don't have one", same sex "marriage" proponents tell me if I don't like it I don't have to marry someone of the same sex (see the image above). The implication is that this is a private matter between them and their partner and should not concern me. But it does concern me. It concerns us all.

One of the difficulties in expressing this concern to the general public is that as soon as an appeal to morals and values is made, people (even quite religious people) bring up the non-establishment clause, as if that has some bearing, and say we have no right to dictate our religion on others. But the issue is not a religious one. That's one thing I like about the video below. Nowhere does the word "God" appear. The case against same sex "marriage" is quite clear based purely on science and legal principles. I know it's a long video, but it is not time wasted.

If you think same sex marriage doesn't affect you and you have an hour, please watch this video. If you think it doesn't affect you and you don't have an hour, make one. It took me several weeks to find time to watch it, and I have to say it was worthwhile and enlightening.
Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse addresses the often heated and emotionally charged topic of "Same Sex Marriage" with a reasoned analysis. Employing principles of law, biology, and sociology, Dr. Morse - a former Yale professor - rationally demonstrates the unseen harm this contemporary invention will impose upon society.

Same Sex Marriage: Why Not? from Carson Weber on Vimeo.

H/T Carson Weber via Aggie Catholics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment