Thursday, September 10, 2015

Remember


Recently there was a post on Facebook about what you remember about 9/11/2001. Here are some memories I will always have.

I remember my coworkers running across the street to buy a TV so we could watch the news at work.

I remember seeing the smoke plume from a field near my house.

I remember a filthy dirty warehouse where we loaded supplies onto a ferry to go across to the workers searching through the debris.

I remember no planes in the sky.

I remember our parish mourning the loss of almost two dozen people.

I remember us all sitting in mass, tears running down our cheeks as we sang hymns.

I remember friends who moved away because they were "supposed" to have been in the towers that day, and couldn't live and work near New York anymore.

I remember how life stopped for a while.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace.

1 comments:

I remember walking into the breakroom that morning, and seeing two co-workers with their mouths hung open looking at the TV (I could not see it from the doorway). I was going to make a joke about what they were watching and then I saw the screen and watched a plane hit the WTC on screen, and one of them said, "that is another one" And I asked " another what" and they told me what had happened and that i have walked in to see the second plane hit live. I remember that within twenty minutes Home Depot got really really quiet and they offered to let folks who wanted to retrieve children from school to leave. I was scary at the time. I was calling family and rumors were flying of war and more planes unaccounted for... people were packing gas stations and corner stores for bread and milk....

Post a Comment