Sunday, December 12, 2010

More Christmas Movies

In my cliffhanger post "A few of my favorite things" I began the ongoing task of describing some of my favorite Christmas-y movies. This post continues the list. Most of these movies are pretty popular, and I'm sure you've at least heard of them if you haven't actually seen them.

What they have in common is that all of them are movies that my wife and I have shared and enjoyed over past Christmases. I'm sure you'll enjoy them if you give them a try.


The Shop Around the Corner - This is the film tat inspired "You've Got Mail" and I think it's better. Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan are coworkers in a little shop who just can't stand each other. They both fall in love with their anonymous pen pals, who turn out to be - you guessed it - each other. Jimmy Stewart's character has more character than Tom Hanks. See it and let me know if you agree.



Going My Way -Father O'Malley (Bing Crosby) is sent by his bishop to rescue Father Fitzgibbon's  failing parish without taking the reins away from the older, "cranky" priest (played by Barry Fitzgerald). Along the way the two priests become friends, and O'Malley helps a gang of kids go straight and reunites an estranged couple and their daughter.


Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas - This is a trilogy of short cartoons featuring Donald Duck, Goofy, Mickey, Minnie and the rest of the Disney gang. Huey, Dewey and Louie are stuck reliving Christmas ala "Groundhog Day" until the "get" it. Goofy goes to great lengths to dispel Max's cynicism regarding Santa Claus, and Mickey and Minnis do a take on "The Gift of the Magi".

A Holiday Affair - I couldn't find a video for this one. Robert Mitchum is a sales clerk who loses his job thanks to a woman who is really a spy from a competitor. So of course hey date and fall in love. OK, it sounds pretty silly but it's a sweet story.


The Bells of St. Mary's - Father O'Malley (Bing Crosby) is sent to "straighten out" Sister Mary (Ingrid Bergman) and close down her school. But Sister's stubbornness and faith in God's providence turn his heart, and eventually the heart of Horace P. Bogartus, a rich miser who can help them.

Stay tuned - more movies to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment