Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday Joke (and an appeal)

First the appeal. My son's school, Mater Dei Prep has been told they will close unless they raise $1 million in the next 60 days. The school had financial troubles years back and has been slowly digging itself out of debt, but apparently not fast enough for the diocese. It currently has an expected budget gap of $400k, and we're told the $1 million will pay for that and the next 2 years until it is expected to be debt free and self sufficient.

If you can find it in your heart to help please pray for the students and staff, and if you have the means, please donate what you can either at this link online or by mailing a check (saves on credit card processing fees) to
Mater Dei Prep 
538 Church Street 
Middletown, NJ 07748
Thank you for your prayers and support. Now onto the joke.

This past week I was at the filming of the new Great Adventure Bible study: "Unlocking the Mystery of the Bible." It was very interesting, and informative. During the "down times" (when they were working technical issues, etc.) the director told this joke:

A woman died and found herself standing outside the Pearly Gates, being greeted by St. Peter. She asked him, "Oh, is this place what I really think it is? It's so beautiful. Did I really make it to heaven?"

To which St. Peter replied, "Yes, my dear, these are the Gates to Heaven. But you must do one more thing before you can enter." The woman was very excited, and asked of St. Peter what she must do to pass through the gates. "Spell a word," St. Peter replied.

"What word?" she asked.

"Love" answered St. Peter. "You must spell the word 'Love.'"

The woman promptly replied, "L-o-v-e."

St. Peter opened the gates and she entered heaven. There she found all the faithful departed and saints having endless celebrations. She met Jesus and the Apostles, and was enjoying herself immensely.

After about a week St. Peter came to visit her. "How are you enjoying heaven?" he asked.

"Oh I love it! I never imagined anything this wonderful!"

"I have a favor to ask" said St. Peter.  "We're having a special party for my mother in law, and I was wondering if you could watch the gates for me for a little while so I can attend?"

"I'd be happy to" replied the woman.

"You remember what to do, right? They have to spell the word to get into heaven."

"Yes, I remember. Have fun at the party and give my love to your mother in law."

So the woman is left sitting in St. Peter's chair and watching the beautiful angels soaring around her when a man approaches the gates. She realizes it is her ex-husband.

"What happened?" she cried, "Why are you here?"

He said, "I was so drunk when I left your funeral, I was in an accident. And now I am here? Did I really make it to Heaven?"

To which the woman replied, "Not yet. You must spell a word first."

"What word?" he asked.


"Czechoslovakia."

0 comments:

Post a Comment