Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Things First

I am outraged by the State Department's announcement that they plan to drop "Father" and "Mother" as terms from US passport applications for at least three reasons.

First off, I am angered that decisions this fundamental to our notion of society are being made by appointed, not elected officials, and so they do not represent "the will of the people", nor is there any recourse to opposing the decision.

Secondly, I watched "Worst Cooks in America" the other night. One of the contestants, "Georg" Coleman introduces herself and her "wife". In fact every gay relationship I know of has a person who fills the role of "husband" and one who fills the role of "wife". This is the nature of relationships - they are complimentary. And so I don't know in what way this makes life better for gays, other than insulting and humiliating the American family.

Thirdly we are losing potentially valuable information about the applicants unless they add a "gender" box next to the "Parent 1" and "Parent 2". Sadly, if they do it will take up most of the form, since I have also heard there is a move to recognize something like 20 different genders (can't find a link right now).

This makes me want to rip up my copy of "Heather has Two Parents" and pray the "Our Parent". May our Blessed Virgin Parent help us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment