Sunday, March 13, 2011

The bible tells me so

When my kids were young we had this board book that played a number of songs when you opened it. One of them was Jesus Loves Me. And perhaps it is OK for small children, but I winced whenever it came on. For those unfamiliar, the theme of the song is I know Jesus loves me because the bible tells me so.

I can't abide by a faith that makes me abandon reason, and the way some people treat the bible has always been a sticking point for me. The argument goes something like "well, 'X' is true because hte bible says so."

"How do you know the bible is true?"

"Because it's the word of God."

"How do you know it's the word of God?"

"The bible says so."

This is what's known as circular reasoning. I could write a blog post that says it's the word of God, and that wouldn't make it the word of God.

At any rate, I've been thinking of a series of blog posts about how a belief in God is not only possible, but necessary by applying logic, and that Catholicism is not only plausible, but very likely true using reason. Of course faith is always required at some point, but faith and reason go hand in hand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment